The inspiration for this is one of my former co-workers who used to eat beans and corn most days for lunch. This is a way to preserve that simplicity but turn it into something awesome.
Succotash is delicious and one of the easiest things in the world to make. Don’t believe anyone who says that it should be a side dish. It is totally awesome enough to be an entrée.
(Of course, Katie hates simple dishes and totally lost her shit while I was cooking this.)
Editor’s Note: No I did not. I merely expressed concern that perhaps he was doing food wrong.
Succotash takes 10-15 minutes, uses only a single pan, and you probably have everything you need already.
At the most basic level you just need:
- 1 can black beans – rinse them first, this is very important.
- An equal amount of corn either caned for frozen is fine. – I’m a big fan of Trader Joe’s fire-roasted corn.
- 1 jar of salsa. (16oz)
You can lots of other things if you have them:
- Fresh Onion, Mushrooms, and/or bell pepper – dice these and saute them in the pot first so that they can brown before you add anything else.
- A diced tomato
- Garlic or Garlic powder
- A cup of frozen lima beans, peas or shelled edamame – Lima beans are traditional but I prefer peas.
- And surprisingly Bacos (which are totally vegan, BTW!) – These need to go in towards the beginning.
Just throw everything into the pan, heat until the salsa is bubbling. Season with Bacon Salt and Pepper to taste. Once it’s heated, serve in a bowl with Guacamole or Avocado.
Editor’s Note: Grrrrrrr.
The finished version pictured up top has a tomato, garlic, peas, and avocado.
2 Comments Add yours
I think this sounds GOOD! I love all the ingredients (only can’t use canned beans) seperately, so I would think mixed together they’d be extra YUM!
Hello fellow Vegan Mofo’er 🙂
Lsounds yummy! I’d like to link to your recipe on the Vegan Mofo round up post on my blog this Friday.
Nice to meet you btw.
P.S. Connect with me on Facebook (CandidaDietPlan), @candidadiettips on Twitter and Sandra Boehner on Pinterest so you see when the post goes live 😉